Thursday, July 4, 2013

The Ocean At The End Of The Lane

Neil Gaiman is one of my favorite authors, so when I read on NPR that he had a new novel out this summer I pre-ordered it on Amazon and waited for it to arrive in my mail box. The Ocean at the End of the Lane does not disappoint; it is a quick read, but it is so deliciously nerve wracking. It is about a now grown man who returns to his childhood home, and is drawn into the memory of a time that the world nearly ended. Unlike most of Gaiman's books, this is a decidedly adult novel; slightly dark and disturbing, but also full of hope and insight. Here is one of my favorite quotes from the book:
"I'm going to tell you something important. Grown-ups don't look like grown-ups on the inside either. Outside, they're big and thoughtless and they always know what they're doing. Inside, they look just like they always have. Like they did when they were your age. The truth is, there aren't any grown-ups. Not one, in the whole wide world."
Also, if you haven't seen this commencement speech, and you need inspiration, give a little listen.

No comments:

Post a Comment